A gem by Lon Fuller legal philosopher 1902-1978.
Moral tale of King Rex and eight ways in which he fails to make laws:
1) Fails to make rules, so everything is decided on a adhoc basis.
2) Does not publicize the rules
3) Enacts retrospective laws
4) Incomprehensible laws
5) Contradictory laws
6) Rules that require conduct beyond power of affected parties
7) Introduces frequent changes
8) Fails to achieve congruence between rules announced and official action
In our daily lives sometimes we make rules which we ask others to follow and sometimes follow rules made by others.
May we make better rules !